Nothing beats the elegance and sheer good looks of natural materials like stone. However, over time, especially if there is heavy foot traffic, stone’s surface can tarnish, so that its lovely natural finish end up looking grimy. Dirt and dust, if allowed to linger, can be abrasive.
But if you keep your real stone floor properly cleaned and maintained, you can look forward to years of durability and visual appeal. Here are the stone floor cleaning things you can do easily and cheaply yourself.
Caring for your real stone floor
- Check the sealing on your flooring when it’s first installed, and regularly thereafter. Some floors may need to be resealed every few years.
- For routine cleaning, use a soft mop or a vacuum cleaner with a “Hard Floor” setting, not a rotating brush.
- Every week, mop with a detergent that’s specifically formulated for stone – if you had the floor laid yourself, ask the manufacturer to recommend a product.
- Keep dirt off the surface with mats at entranceways, and vacuum, wash or shake these regularly. And, if the floor is in your home, consider not wearing your outdoor shoes inside.
- Inevitably, spills will happen and, when they do, deal with them straight away, otherwise stone can stain.
- Never use abrasive cleaning products which could scratch the stone’s surface or make it look dull. Lemon and vinegar-based cleaners, which can be acidic, may damage the stone floor’s sealant, while wax can also damage natural stone flooring’s finish.
(For information on: how to clean marble or looking after marble in between professional cleans, see our separate blog about them.)
Why you need professional stone floor cleaning and marble floor cleaning?
While you can handle routine cleaning yourself, using a professional for your stone floor cleaning or marble floor polishing will make a huge difference to its longevity and appearance. A professional will have the equipment and skills to remove dirt from the stone’s pores so that this natural material stays looking its best.
At Royal Stone Care, we offer stone floor cleaning and marble restoration in varied settings across London and the surrounding area to an extremely high standard, using tried and tested techniques and cleaning and sealing products depending on the type of flooring we are working on.
Use us for stone and marble cleaning in London with confidence – we’re certified to the ISO: 9001 standard for our care for the environment, are fully insured and our work has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Contact us for a free quotation!